It was Pentecost Sunday two weeks ago. A day when the Holy Spirit fell on the 120 disciples in the Upper Room that literally started the Church of Jesus Christ. And our Church, the New Life Assembly is a Pentecostal Church.
"What does it really mean to be Pentecostal?” This question came abruptly from the well-known Christian author and speaker to a Pentecostal preacher. Growing up in a Pentecostal home, the standard answer to that question was usually just one word – “power.” But this preacher hesitated to answer, mentally searching for a few seconds. Then he responded, “It means to be dependent.”
That’s what it really means. To be filled in the Holy Spirit is to have just more than power to witness – it is to be completely dependent on God.
• Dependent for every aspect of our day to day lives.
• Dependent on Him to understand the Word.
• Dependent on Him to pray with power.
• Dependent on Him to be able to witness.
• Dependent on Him to live a holy life in this wicked world.
While on earth, Jesus was completely dependent on the Holy Spirit
1. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit - Lk. 1:35, Matt. 1:18
2. Jesus received the Spirit at His Baptism - Lk. 3:21-22
3. Jesus was led by the Spirit to battle Satan - Mk. 1:12; Matt. 4:1
4. Jesus walked in the Power of the Spirit - Lk. 4:14
5. Jesus preached with the Spirit’s Anointing - Lk. 4:18
6. Jesus cast out demons by the Spirit – Matt. 12:28
7. Jesus was raised from the dead by the Spirit – Rom. 8:11
Just before His ascension, Jesus taught His disciples to wait for this Power from on High BEFORE they set out to witness about His Resurrection and Salvation. “I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.” (Luke 24:49)
When it comes to serving the Lord, we may tend to rely on our education, our experience, our charisma or even on our eloquence, but nothing – absolutely nothing can replace the anointing of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
Apostle Peter learnt he couldn’t depend on his personal ability the day he denied our Lord thrice. But the Baptism of the Holy Spirit changed him to be a firebrand for our Lord. He preached a simple message on the Day of Pentecost and 3,000 people came forward to repent of their sins and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
If our Lord and His disciples were dependent on the precious Holy Spirit, how much more should we depend on Him for our lives and ministry?
Take time to seek Him for His Presence and Power in your lives. I promise you - you will never be the same again. Guaranteed!!